I've started my most ambitious cosplay project in last december: Valeera Sanguinar, based on her official illustration from Hearthstone. She has huge pauldrons, corset, shining crystal daggers and a looot of detail...
The hardest and most challenging part was the daggers, because I've never worked with resin before - I didn't even made resin gemstones before not TWO whole daggers
The whole process beginned with planning. And than more planning. After dozens of hours of research after resin I finally figured out which kind of resin should I use - not that fancy super clear epoxy resin what I use for the gemstones, but polyester resin which is used mostly in industrial envoirnment. !WARNING: don't ever use it inside your house, go out to the garden or use it on your balcony like I did. It has terrible smell and toxic fume! Use glowes and mask!!
So when I finally had the resin I need, I bought silicone(after a few more hours of research for the best one for this project) for the negative and aaaaaall the other materials, I've started working...
First I made the prototype of the blades:
* I used greyboard, expanding foam and papermashe.
* After carving, sanding and polishing, I gave it a final coat of wood glue.
* Silicone mold making...The mold is ready, time to cast the resin blades. I used eyeshadow to color the resin.
* When the two sides of the blade were done I used the same resin as a glue and fixed them together with the LEDs too
* For the holders I used mosty black worbla, because I needed a very strong but formable material to this part. After a lot of sanding and polishing I used neon green acrylic paint to the highlights, than finished it witch a few coats of spay lack.
Painting, wiring the LEDs and the switch - and it's ready!